quinta-feira, 22 de janeiro de 2004

State of the Union

No Cattalarchy

There is no night worse in US politics than the night of the State of the Union. It's like watching professional wrestling, only not nearly as entertaining. A raucous crowd fills the stands made up of alternately enthusiastic supporters and heckling antagonists. (...). It is a spectacle millions watch on air with tremendous involvement and pointless excitement, but is ultimately an act of fakery.

Message to politicians:

I don't want your 'strengthening of the economy'. You have screwed it up enough already.
I don't want your 'sanctity of marriage'. It's not your business.
Quit trying to define everything as right or left. The world is not binary.
You don't end poverty. You create it.
I don't want your retirement plans. I know my unique circumstances best.
Consensus support does not signify 'bipartisanship'. It is simply honor among thieves.
I don't want your entangling alliances. They endanger rather than protect me.
I don't want your education guidelines. My education is personal and lifelong.
Tonight was not a great 'political event'. It was the very reason for eternal vigilance.
Government does not 'create jobs'. It only takes them away from honest individuals.
I don't want your 'leadership'. Sovereign individuals are their own leaders.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário